Sunday, 20 September 2009

Back to blogging and 'Land Girls' review

Hi everyone!

I'm so sorry I haven't updated my blog this week, I just went back to college and I've been very busy.

College has been quite good although I'm already beginning to feel stressed with my work but I'm sure it will sort itself out if I work at it.

On Friday I had my second day at the elderly hospital I am undertaking my work experience. It was much better than last week and I learnt so many more skills. It was really helpful actually! I'm glad it was better this week :)



I remember a few weeks ago I said I would do a review on 'Land Girls' for you all. It was so fantastic that I really hope they make some more episodes. I think all you vintage girls (and boys) out there would really really enjoy it. The costumes were gorgeous and all the characters were completely different which made it so much more interesting.
The first episode started off with two new land girls starting a new post. Nancy is the city girl who does not want to be there and Joyce was a sweet little one who everybody loves. They arrive at the farm where they will be living for years and are introduced to farmer Finch, his son Billy, the land lady Esther, her little boy and two other land girls: sisters Annie and Bea.
Annie's husband is away fighting and Bea has lied about her age to join up so she can escape her father's strict ways. Billy is in love with Bea the whole way through the series but in the first episode Bea meets an American soldier who woes her and leaves her pregnant causing difficulties for her the whole way through. Nancy is such a funny character... On her first night she sneaks into the owner's house to have a bath. It's a good job the nasty owners husband is nice because he manages to cover for her so his wife will never know. However, this causes an affair to take place as they both fall in love with each other.
Whilst working on the land Joyce begins to miss her husband who is in the RAF. Once out delivering goods one day she bumps into a stranger who is in fact her husband. She is so happy to see him but when she finds out he has deserted she persuades him to go back, but it is not quite as simple as it is made out to be.
After finding out Bea is pregnant, Annie does her best to help her troubled sister but this does not mean she has know problems of her own. She seems to have married her husband to escape her father but the couple may not have been in the right place when they were married. She receives a telegram one day telling her that her husband has been killed in action and she is very upset. One day whilst working on the farm Annie meets a man whose mother is seriously ill. She does her best to help him and his mother but she sadly passes away. But 3 months later the two begin to see more of each other and Annie begins to experience feelings I don't think she ever felt about her husband. Once being with this new man she then receives a complete shock when she realises her husband is still alive but he is very badly hurt.
Billy decides that he wants to help Bea with her new baby and goes ahead to propose to her; but when he does this she goes into labour! :)
The couple do end up together and they do get married which was so unbelievably cute! :)
Nancy and the Lord continue their affair but to the shock of the audience he is killed in a shooting, where he saves Annie's new boyfriend from the mad game keeper who has been causing trouble the whole way through the series. This was so sad to watch, I just did not expect it to happen, then again they were planning to run away together which probably showed that it would not happen, it would be much to simple wouldn't it?
The story does have a nice ending though. Annie's husband comes back but he is seriously burnt but I'm not sure whether they actually get back together. I hope they do. Nancy decides to go home on emotional leave, due to the pain of being in the same place as where she spent all this time with the Lord. The ending is almost the beginning... Two new girls join up who are very like the characters of Joyce and Nancy and the story almost begins again.

(It really was very very good, but I have missed several points out, so I'm sorry about that. It was much better than I explained it to be :s hehe)


Today when looking for a specific episode of 'One Tree Hill', I found this trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdzzn1LZC4w
Apparently they did a 1940s style episode, which looks so good! :) I hope I get to watch it at some stage. What a good idea to adapt the characters into!



I almost forgot to mention the lovely Sab from http://thereisnosuchthingasperfect.blogspot.com/, for giving me a fantastic blog award! Her blog was one of the first I ever found when I had just started blogging land and she is such a sweet girl with such a good taste in music! Her blog is full of her day to day notes on life and is really interesting to read! Thank you Sab! :)
I will definitely be passing this award onto some other great bloggers in my next post :)

I had such a brilliant time round Madison's house last night! We listened to 'The Beatles' and watched Derren Brown which was so clever I don't even understand! Thanks Madison! :)

Anyway I'll leave you on that note...


Have a lovely week everyone and I'll speak to you all soon,


~ Kirsty x

8 comments:

Victoria said...

I'd love to watch Land Girls. It sounds like my cup of tea. x

Maggi said...

Glad your work assignment is going well! Land Girls sounds like a great show!

BaronessVonVintage said...

thanks for the synopsis. I'm itching to see this... xoxo

BALLET NEWS said...

I'd love to see this after reading your wonderful post - thanks a lot !

Amanda Laurel Atkins said...

Hi Kirsty!!
I'm so glad college is going well. Hang in there! I'm sure the stress will subside as time passes and things become more routine. Land Girls sounds so awesome! I'm going to have to find a way to watch it! Thanks for all the sweet comments as of late, and congrats on the blog award! You totally deserve it. :) I look forward to your next blog entry!
xoxoxo
Amanda

Madi. said...

Derren Brown was pretty goood.

Don't worry about 'him' if we're left on our own again I'm going to Mark and complaining.

Also, please change my 'visit Madisons blog'. Urgh I hate that pic lol.

Cya 2mz

Witchcrafted Life said...

That show looks so amazingly lovely - exactly the type of plot that grabs my fancy. I should seriously consider petitioning one of the Canadian TV stations to air it! :)


Wishing you a beautiful weekend, sweet dear!
♥ Jessica

iris said...

Hiii! I'm glad college is ok and everything's fine too.
I'm happy to have to back here:)

xx from Madrid!